On 7 August, 1941, North Carolina tobacco fields were purchased from local farmers for the purpose of training the 1st MarDiv, based in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to execute strategic war plans associated with the “Island Hopping Campaign” in the Pacific theater. Departing from “tent camp,” a year later, the 1st MarDiv assaulted the island of Guadalcanal. By order of the Commandant of the Marine Corps on January 8, 1952, the name “Tent Camp" was changed to “Camp Geiger” in honor of Lieutenant General Roy Stanley Geiger. Lieutenant General Geiger was a pioneering Marine aviator who commanded the I and III Amphibious Corps, and the 10th Army, during World War II.
1953: “Infantry Training Regiments” are established at Camp Geiger, North Carolina and Camp Pendleton, California. Marines begin the “Combat Apprenticeship Program” receiving individual combat training under the instruction of World War II and Korean War veterans.
February 1961: The Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Geiger implements a new training program of instruction. Marines receive an increase in night training, increased weapons instruction, and an increase in practical application in all training phases. The syllabus consisted of 18 training days with 171.5 hours of instruction.
1962: During this period, 22,760 Marines graduated from the 1st Infantry Training Regiment located at Camp Geiger, North Carolina. During this training year, $124 was spent on ammunition on each Marine; 400 M1 rifle rounds in a combat environment where expended, threw numerous hand grenades were thrown, fired Browning Automatic Rifles and flamethrowers, and numerous 3.5 rocket launchers were expended.
1967: Marines holding a non-infantry MOS receive “Individual Combat Training” (ICT). Infantry “military occupational specialty” (MOS) Marines receive 20 days of instruction in basic infantrymanship with 1st Battalion at Camp Geiger. Non-infantry MOS Marines receive 13 days of ICT with 2d Battalion at Camp Geiger. From there the Marines enter “Basic Specialty Training” (BST) in their MOS. Prior to this period, all Marines received the same infantry training.
November 1972: 1st Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Geiger is re-designated as the “1st Infantry Training Detachment”.
1975: Marines holding a non-infantry MOS no longer receive advanced infantry training. These Marines proceed directly to their formal school for training or to a unit for on-the-job training (OJT).
August 1978: The 1st Infantry Training Detachment is deactivated and reactivated as “Infantry Training Company,” Headquarters Battalion, 2d MarDiv.
October 1979: Command of the Infantry Training Company was transferred from 2d MarDiv to Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, where it was designated a formal school and renamed “Infantry Training School.”
1983: Student input at Infantry Training School reaches 6000 Marines trained; the highest number since the change in 1975.
June 1984: Infantry Training School increases it's curriculum from four weeks to six weeks. This increase is due to Fleet Marine Force (FMF) restructure and improved weapons technology. The training focused on increased weapons training and upgrading individual and small unit level tactical skills.
April 1987: Infantry Training School is designated as the “School of Infantry” (SOI). During this period, the “Advance Infantry Training Company” is formally assigned to the command of SOI for the purpose of training Marines in advanced infantry skills and weapons systems.
October 1988: The School of Infantry (SOI) institutes “Marine Battle Skills” Training and “Marine Combat Training Battalion” (MCT) for the purpose of training male Marines, regardless of MOS, in infantry skills. Immediately after 10 days of leave from boot camp, 28 days of training at MCT is conducted. The following unit’s falls under the SOI command structure: Infantry Training Battalion (ITB), Advanced Infantry Training Company (AITC), and Marine Combat Training Battalion (MCT).
December 1993: The School of Infantry transitions to the dual-track training concept; infantry designated Marines proceed directly to Infantry Training Battalion. Marines that have not been designated with the infantry MOS report to Marine Combat Training Battalion.
October 2000: The School of Infantry is reassigned to the newly established Training and Educational Command (TECOM), located in Quantico, Virginia.
October 2007: Due to the increase of the size of the Marine Corps to 202,000, an additional company was added to Marine Combat Training Battalion (MCT Bn) and the Infantry Training Battalion (ITB). These two subordinate units consist of five companies per. They are:
October 16th, 2007: ITB’s Echo Company picks class 02-08. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo Companies comprise ITB.