All persons engaged in the conduct, review, and approval of human subject research is required to complete ethics training.
A person is engaged in research if he/she interacts/intervenes with human subjects or will have access to identifiable data. The training is valid for three years. A copy of the training completion report is required to be submitted with the IRB application package.
The training is offered online through CITI and is expected to take four hours to complete. Training is valid for three years.
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Registration Instructions
The instructions to register are:
- Go to the link above and click the "register" button under Create an Account
- Under the "Participating Institutions" drop-down menu, select "Department of the Navy" and click "continue to step 3"
- Enter your personal information and click "continue to step 4"
- Create your user name and password and click "continue to step 5"
- Enter your demographic info and click "continue to step 6"
- Enter the appropriate selections and click "continue to step 7"
- Enter the DON-required info. Under the "Your Command" drop-down menu, choose "MCCDC" or "TECOM" or "USMC" or MARCORSYSCOM or the applicable unit and click "continue to step 8"
- Click the appropriate box...likely the first one, and click next. Click the box for "social and behavioral sciences" and click next
- Choose the appropriate role (IRB Administrator, Investigators and Key Research Personnel) and click next
- Choose "No, not at this time" when asked "Are you required to complete the CITI Good Clinical Practice course for the Department of the Navy?" and click next
- Choose "No, not at this time" when asked "Are you required to complete the CITI Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) for the Department of the Navy? " and click next
- Click "Finalize registration"
- Click on the appropriate course and conduct the training