Banner Icon could not be loaded.

 

Field Medical Training Battalion - West

"We Learn Today, So We May Lead Tomorrow"

FMTB-W Command History

                   Command History

              

 

Field Medical Training Battalion originated during mobilization at the beginning of the Korean War.  For all practical purposes, training of Hospital Corpsmen for duty with the Fleet Marine Force had ceased after the end of World War II.  In the latter part of August of 1950, the School’s headquarters was established near the main dispensary in the 13 Area of Camp Pendleton. 

The first class convened on 4 September 1950 and was composed of 80 Hospital Corpsmen who had been recalled to active duty with organized Marine Corps Reserve units.  In October of that year, the School was relocated to Camp Del Mar, where it has remained since. 

In January of 1951, the School was formally designated as the Field Medical Training Battalion, Training and Replacement Command.  In July of 1955, the Secretary of the Navy designated Field Medical Service School as a  Naval Shore Establishment Command under the management and control of the Commanding General, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton. 

The course of instruction was finally designated as a Marine Corps Formal School, on 12 April, 1963.  On June 15, 2007 the school was re-established as Field Medical Training Battalion.